che parker

on Sunday, May 22, 2011

Che Parker hails from Perth, Western Australia - which, although being referred to as the most remote city on earth, also features among the top ten most liveable cities in the world. Che is a self-described kook, with a portfolio that is quirky enough, but also downright cool. His images speak of an everlasting summer, and his landscapes are breathtaking.



q: who are you?
a: I'm a guy, from Perth in West Australia. Obsessed with learning and driven by a need to see positive change in the world. It sounds a bit naff to my own ears, but it's the truth. Truth is another thing I really like.


q: what's the best thing about living in perth? the worst?
a: I reckon that Perth's isolation and quieter pace of city life breeds a particular type of person, the type that makes their own fun and the type that really leaps into things with a genuine urge to seize the day. Also, the lack of "things" to do in the city seems to lead to a lot of people sittin' around getting high and getting their creative on. This place punches way above its weight musically. Did I mention the beaches? They're real nice too.


The worst? The 'no" mentality. There's a strong opposition to change in this city, as if the place is perfect as it is. I'm sorry, but no place is perfect, and I don't think there's a lot to be said for stagnancy. It's led to a lot of great ideas being realised in a very half-arsed manner. Case in point being our Bell Tower, it could've been incredible but instead it's an underwhelming spire of mediocrity that looks less a shining monument to human endeavour and more a cockroach trying to mount a praying mantis.



q: what are you most excited about at the moment?
a: That it's 2011, I've finished my marine science and journo degree, I've just had surgery to fix my dicky knee, and I'm entirely unencumbered by anything except my own need to make things happen. The next 12 months should see a real shift in my photography and writing as I move towards doing some real purposeful documentary, story-telling types of things. Super keen.


q: vegemite or peanut butter?
a: Vegemite 4 lyf. Raised on that bersgusting looking stuff. Can't hack peanut butter at all.




q: any pages you want to plug here?
 a: Yeeeop, a mate of mine, Mikey Litton and his solo project Cow Parade Cow. Imagine a bastard child of Animal Collective and Vampire Weekend raised in the wet wilds of West Oz, or something like that.
Also, David Boyson Cooper. He seems well known in these Flickr circles already, but I really dig his shiz, it's real.

Che's flickr and tumblr. Dig it!

Leave your comment